Sunday, September 21, 2008

Ohhh Growin' Up

Here I am in this lousy internet cafe with my flash drive full of post-dated entries, and I can't open them. Oh well, such is life in the former Soviet Union.

Everything is cool here. I had a relaxing un-eventful weekend, full of food and Russian sitcoms. Today I went to some cultural places, like the Church where the last of the Romanovs were assassinated. It was both beautiful and depressing, just like me. Then I checked out a photography museum, which was shockingly wonderful. Can't wait to take Lauren there when she visists. The highlight of the weekend was definitely going to Ekaterinburg's only synagogue/JCC. The service was pretty bare bones, but the lunch afterwards more than made up for it! The people there were so sweet and welcoming, and I became friends with three young Israeli women who are here teaching Hebrew. Imagine my joy to meet people who know even less Russian than me! One of the congregants even had me translate to them Russian into English, our shared language. I can't wait to see them again next Saturday. Actually, I don't have to wait, because I was assured the Center has plenty of programs for young people, but I'm just a notch above being that lonely. Maybe next week...

My Russian is getting better every day, especially now that I broke down and bought a dictionary. In fact, people ask me for directions and don't raise an eyebrow at my accent, although maybe they're just being polite. My apartment is really feeling like home, albeit a home without internet or a working oven. I hung up a picture of the Boss and filled the fridge with things that make me happy.

Well, I guess that's all I have for right now, because I don't want to go into details of any of my many misadventures. Suffice it to say that I'm starting to feel more like the theme song of "Laverne and Shirley," if not "Cheers." Love and kiss noises.

4 comments:

wendy weil said...

i have a great idea get a cat

DFT said...

Abbie, I'm kvelling. You don't know how happy it makes me that you went to services! Even though I keep up with your blog, I don't usually comment, but I thought this entry warranted one :) Miss you!

Museum intrigue said...

can't wait to see them photos.

Jason said...

Congrats on the apartment. I'm having a novosel'e tonight! Woohoo! 20 assorted foreigners and maybe a handful of my Russian acquaintances. Coming through Siberia any time soon?