Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thank You For Lettin Me Be Myself

A beautiful snow has settled on Ekaterinburg.  It isn’t falling anymore, but there’s a peaceful layer of frost blanketing the trees, and Russians even have a word for that.  I’ve started running again, since I realized that soon the weather will permit me from doing so for a long time.  Actually, that day might have been today.  It isn’t the cold, frost, or sexual suggestiveness that makes it dangerous; it’s the puddles.  I kick up slush as I go, and it falls back through my very permeable running shoes.  My feet got soaked, and I kept thinking of the character in Admiral whose legs get amputated because he falls in a puddle and doesn’t take off his socks.  But I kept going, fueled by Springsteen’s Darkness on the Edge of Town, and now my feet feel warm and secure.


Most of my news concerns food.  Last Sunday I went to my friend Veronika’s for dinner, and what a dinner it was.  Her mom prepared a veritable feast, but then declined to eat with us, explaining that she had snacked while cooking.  They taught me the term khlibni-son, which I think means “bread-dreamer,” and anyway describes someone who loves to feed.  Add that to the list of Russian idioms that describe me, right below Traveling Frog and Disorganized Mary.  Veronika’s mom made salads, blini, kotleti, chicken, and my favorite eggplant caviar.  She also insisted on sending me home with a bagful of blini.  I wasn’t opposed...  In other food-related news, I got an invitation to the Consulate General’s apartment for Thanksgiving.  I’m so excited, not just because this is sure to be a swanky event, but also because I love Thanksgiving and didn’t want to miss it, in every sense of the word.  So I’m going to try to bake something for the first time here (not counting chocolate chip cookies with Katherine in Tiumen).  I got everything I need for oatmeal chocolate chip coconut cookies, with a food necessary alterations.  1) The coconut is dyed orange.  I’ll pass this off as an autumn decoration.  2) No chocolate chips.  I will chop up chocolate bars.  3) No vanilla extract, only “vanilla sugar.”  4) No brown sugar.  I bought what I think is just raw sugar.  Today I’ll look in the big fancy grocery store, but I’ve been mostly disappointed by them in the past.  Anyway, I’ll make the effort, and I’m really looking forward to drinking wine and listening to Journey while I bake.  If only Katherine were with me, the wine and Journey wouldn’t seem so pathetic...


Today, no classes except English for Jews.  I’ll go by the university and try to reschedule a couple of sessions I’ve missed, but I don’t really care all that much.  My 4th year students are beginning a unit on Law, and I was really excited for an activity I’d planned: bringing Raskolnikov to trial.  It turns out I was mistaken in assuming these kids would have as thorough a knowledge of Crime and Punishment as I do.  Maybe it’s just been a while since they’ve read it, but they forgot the second victim and chalked up Raskolnikov’s motives to financial.  As if!  But I’ll try the same activity again with another group, if only because I really enjoyed playing the judge, banging scissors on the desk and threatening to fine my students for contempt.


Ok friends, that’s all she wrote.  Happy Thanksgiving, and please have seconds of everything for your favorite ex-pat.

1 comment:

petty pace said...

Outstanding entry. Love every sentence and hope you continue to journal for the rest of your very adventurous life. Will be posting my own lengthy blog soon. Much too considered, but then what do I do that isn't by the way, Petty Pace is JW. (I'll explain later) Keep em coming. Keep em happy. Leave em laughing. Take your LSATs. You're a natural.