Thursday, November 27, 2008

Turkey in the Straw

On this most holiest of Thanksgiving days, I would like to express my gratitude for the following people and things:


My health, sine qua non.

Mom, Dad, and Zak, for their constant support and humor, and for always indulging my whims. 

My extended family, for more love than I know what to do with.

My friends, for liking me even though they aren’t obligated to.

Corollary: Internet at home, so I can talk to the aforementioned every day.

My teachers and professors at Beachwood and Bard, especially Jennifer Day and Jeff Katz, who encouraged and inspired me to follow this most bizarre of paths.

The Jewish community of Ekaterinburg, the most welcoming and accepting people I’ve met.

All my helpful students and colleagues at the Ped. Institute, for reminding me why I’m here.

My fellow Fulbrightniks, for making me feel I’m not alone in this great big country.

The good people at Fulbright, for paying me to goof off in Russia.

Finally, for the first time, I’m thankful for the American people who did the right thing and elected Barack Obama!


Well, I guess that’s about enough cheese for one day.  I feel like Travis Birkenstock in Clueless, making an acceptance speech for having the most tardies in the class.  “I’d like to thank the good people at McDonalds, for making those little Egg McMuffins, without which I might never be tardy.”


Happy Thanksgiving folks.  Be good to each other.

2 comments:

wendy weil said...

You said it all Abbie, I am also thankful and grateful for October 6 1985. I will make "sandwich face" tonight and think of you my sweet, and very brave daughter. My "Clueless" quote, "keep it real"

petty pace said...

and I'm thankful your thanks. and thankful for you.