Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Bad Day Gets Better

I know my last post was less than cheerful, but Kiev fully redeemed itself by the time I crawled into bed.  I decided that the only thing that would improve my mood, and justify a second shower, was to say nuts to my fear and go for a run.  Still, I was cautious.  I went without my iPod and simply did a couple laps around the block of our hotel.  I got some puzzled looks, some dirty looks, and a bunch of laughs.  Worse, people, both in cars and on foot, not only don’t get out of your way, some actually move to get in your way.  I took a surprisingly good attitude and let these moving obstacles add to my workout, for example by speeding up to pass and running in place when I was blocked.  There was one doorman outside a hotel who smiled and waved to me on my first lap, and cracked up when I saluted him on my second.  As for not having my iPod, I endeavored to play the Clash’s entire “London Calling” album in my head.  That was a whole other kind of exercise.  Maybe next time I’ll try “Thriller.”  When I got back, I took that second shower, this time to wash off real sweat, not imaginary bugs.


Fresh and clean-clean, I joined some girls for a screening of an shockingly engrossing educational series called “Connect with English.”  It’s like “Live from Moscow,” only with an enormous cast.  Somewhere between my sarcastic Mystery Science Theater comments, I actually got really into it.  And I came in in the middle; the other girls have already watched dozens of these 15-minute episodes.


I was pretty much ready to call it a night, but I got intercepted on my way to bed.  I was already in my pajamas when I was invited to go to the park and listen to Oklahoma Matt play his banjo.  Not being the type to turn down a free banjo recital, I changed back into my clothes and headed out.  To make a long story short, we all got waste-faced in the park until...what time?  I don’t know, I was too blind to read my watch.  I do remember talking to some security guards at the end of our adventure, one of whom I tried to tackle when he called my mom a prostitutka.  Of course I couldn’t have hurt him, but my friends, though in hysterics, were lucid enough to pull me away from that situation and back to the hotel.  So this morning I feel a little wobbly from all that woobly juice, but it’s better than being resenting Kiev.  Today, the only thing I’ll drink is delicious European orange Fanta.


4 comments:

wendy weil said...

and you want to be my latex salesman? nice to know they are talkin smack about me in kiev NO MORE RUNNING AND/OR DRINKING SAID MOM

zak said...

great story! very cool time it sounds...but i can't run without my new ipod

Damen said...

Are you sure prostitutka isn't some kind of wind or reed instrument? It sounds like it!

Museum intrigue said...

Jason mentioned something on Gmail chat about you attacking a doorman- glad i got the real story behind that. When i used to run in the city in st. pete i would have drunken men open their arms as if i was going to run happily into their open embraces.