Friday, October 17, 2008

Grrr

I came to school for my 8:30 class only to learn at 8:40 that it was cancelled. I could've gone home, but my 10:15 class was still on. Of course I couldn't get into any of the rooms I needed, like our department office or the computer lab, so I once again comandeered a computer in the international office. They're so kind to me, I've got to do more than buying them the cheapest chocolate cake I can find. Maybe this weekend I'll bake them some monkey cookies... I've also decided I'm spending altogether too much time with the first-year period students. I have them four times a week, which is four times as much as any other class. It's nothing personal, I like them a lot, but frankly I'm running out of information. Today I actually went into English teacher mode for the first time and taught them about 1st- 2nd- and 3rd person narrators. Even I was bored. Anyway it will all get better because my final class of the day is with a great group, and its one of the girl's birthday. Cake!

This evening I'm giving my first private English lesson to a woman who got my number from one of our professors. Fulbright limits the amount of private teaching we can do, but there's no restriction on dual language conversation, ie 1/2 hour of conversation in English, 1/2 in Russian. But it really all depends on whether or not this lady and I click. If she's coming to my house for English lessons, I'm pretty much obligated to keep myself stocked with cookies and candy. It's a hard life.

Ok dear readers, I'm getting sick of being stared at by the students who are in the computer lab for legitimate reasons. That means I'm signing out.

Kiss noises!

PS--My friend Lauren says Amy Sedaris is getting her own sitcom. Anyone have any details about this?

PPS--In response to Dave Bellard's question: there is photo-publishing technology, but I can't figure it out. All my pictures are on Facebook, but I've yet to upload any from Ekat. If you want to know what my apartment looks like, just picture your grandmother's house in the 70's.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Ugh. I had an 8:30 and a 10:15 today too. Only two students showed for my 10:15 and the instructor told me to go home. On Monday there were some students who were supposed to do some kind of presentations, and so only one showed up. The administration was embarassed and so apparently, I'm getting moved to another group. But yeah, it sucks to wake up at 7, plant yourself on some public transportation, splash your way through the mud, only to show up and find an empty classroom!

zak said...

so you know i work with all romanians at the valet job? they absolutely detest russia and all russians i think...it has something to do with russia trying to conquer the entire eastern side of europe for the last few centuries. go fig...

keep at it sister!